Historical Growth of USC’s Health Sciences Campus
The buildings erected during each decade of the Health Sciences campus’s history are marked in red on the maps below. Some of these buildings were constructed by USC, while others were constructed by other entities and acquired by the university in subsequent years.
1950 to 1959
Burrell O. Raulston Memorial Research Building, constructed at the southeast corner of the campus with funds from the National Heart Institute and the National Cancer Institute, opened in September 1952. It was the first building USC erected on its nascent Health Sciences campus and remained the only medical school structure on the campus for the next eight years.
Also in the 1950s, the County of Los Angeles erected a complex of adjoining buildings at the northeast corner of Alcazar and Playground streets that eventually was acquired by the university. These structures became the Clinical Sciences Building and Clinical Sciences Annex, housing the USC Institute for Genetic Medicine.
A printing press facility built by a third party at the northwest corner of Valley Boulevard and Soto Street was only recently acquired by USC after remaining vacant for a number of years.
1960 to 1969
Two new buildings – Paul S. McKibben Hall, housing classrooms and laboratories, and Seeley Wintersmith Mudd Memorial Laboratory of the Medical Sciences, a much-needed research facility – were dedicated in May 1961, located northeast of Raulston Memorial Research Building. These structures enabled the medical school for the first time since 1928 to house all four years of undergraduate instruction on the same campus.
During the late 1960s, further construction on the Health Sciences campus was fueled by the Master Plan for Enterprise and Excellence in Education, USC’s first major fund-raising drive. Buildings erected during this period include the Blanche and Frank R. Seaver Student Residence (1962-63), the Elaine Stevely Hoffman Medical Research Center (1966-68), the Eileen and Kenneth T. Norris Medical Research Library (1967-68) and the John E. Bishop Medical Teaching and Research Building (1978-69) – all located around the campus’s central academic quad.
At the north end of the campus, along Alcazar Street, the County of Los Angeles built a two-story building that was acquired by the university in later decades. A third party constructed the building at the northeast corner of the Master Plan boundaries.
1970 to 1979
Buildings opened during the 1970s included the Willard Keith Administration and Medical Forum Building/Louis B. Mayer Medical Teaching Center (in the main academic quad area), the Dorothy and Hugh Edmondson Research Building (at the northeast corner of Valley Boulevard and Soto Street), John Stauffer Pharmaceutical Sciences Center (along the southern border of the campus on Zonal Avenue) and an annex to McKibben Hall.
USC solidified its relationship with the Estelle Doheny Eye Foundation to create the Doheny Eye Institute in 1974. The Doheny Vision Research Center was created to provide a home for the institute’s research laboratories. Additionally, an apartment complex developed at the northeast corner of San Pablo and Norfolk streets by a private entity during this decade subsequently was converted to the Parkview Medical Building and is currently owned by the Doheny Eye Foundation.
A warehouse built by a third party on the eastern edge of the campus, along Soto Street, was later acquired by the university and is now called the O’Neil Warehouse. Also during this decade, an addition was made to the building at the northeast corner of the Master Plan boundaries; USC later purchased the entire building (both the original structure and the addition), which is now known as the Valley Boulevard Building.
1980 to 1989
After years of planning, the eight-story Kenneth Norris Jr. Cancer Hospital and Research Institute opened its doors on the Health Sciences campus in 1983, ushering in a new era in cancer research and treatment. In 1985, the 35-bed Estelle Doheny Eye Hospital was dedicated, constructed with funds from the Doheny Eye Foundation and providing an inpatient facility for the university’s ophthalmology department.
1990 to 1999
Ground had been broken for USC University Hospital and Richard K. Eamer Medical Plaza in 1987, which opened to great fanfare in spring 1991. During this timeframe, the university also created its first outpatient clinical center, Healthcare Consultation Center I. Dr. Norman Topping Tower, an expansion of the cancer center named in honor of USC’s seventh president, opened its doors in 1996.
The 1990s also saw construction of the Health Sciences campus Child Care Center, located at the north end of campus on Playground Street.
Additionally during this decade, a third party constructed the USC Kidney Center building along the southern edge of Alcazar Street.
2000 to 2009
The first decade of the new millennium saw the opening of Healthcare Consultation Center II (a new outpatient care facility), the Zilkha Neurogenetic Institute and the Harlyne J. Norris Cancer Research Tower. Ground also was broken for the Eli and Edith Broad CIRM Center for Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research at USC, which will be completed in 2010.
Additionally, Tenet Healthcare, which at the time owned and operated USC University Hospital, opened a new 117-bed inpatient tower beds in 2007. USC acquired the hospital, including the new inpatient tower, in 2009.
last updated 08/05/10